WHAT WE BELIEVE
Who We Are
Canton First has both a corporate and unique identity. We are a part of The United Methodist Church and adhere to its theology and doctrine. However, we also embrace our unique mission and calling for our community.
Our Mission – “What do we do?”
Canton First United Methodist Church exists to glorify God and make disciples by sharing our lives with others so that everyone will find hope-filled life in Christ.
We are Christ-followers, called to live missionally by intentionally aligning our lives to participate in God’s redemption of all creation. In other words, we look for what God is doing and join Him in it.
Our Core Values – “Why do we do it?”
Every Person Matters to Us Because Every Life Matters to God
- We are all created in the image of God and have sacred worth.
- God’s grace is available to everyone and is continually at work in our lives.
- We commit ourselves to be in ministry with and for all persons.
God Shapes Us Through Scripture
- The scriptures are God’s inspired Word and are the primary source and criterion for our faith.
- As we open our minds and hearts to the Word of God, faith is born, our understanding of God and self is deepened, and we discover God’s call to join Him in redeeming the world.
- The scriptures are God’s living Word as the Holy Spirit reveals to us all things necessary for salvation and growing in our faith in Christ.
God Gives Us a Resilient Faith
- Like the early Christians show us, it is possible to remain strong in our faith without being isolated from or giving into the prevailing culture.
- We seek to make disciples who stand firm in their faith through the various phases of life and the storms of life.
- Faith is strongest when it is built in Christ-centered community and shared in life.
Our Strategy – “How do we do it?”
At Canton First we grow disciples by asking every person to invest themselves in Christ-centered community, which has three foci:
- Intentional Community - a group of people who worship together, study together, pray together, and serve together to become the love of God for one another and others.
- Experiencing God - an intimate, growing relationship is the number one factor for spiritual growth. We experience God in corporate worship, Christ-centered community, and personal spiritual practices.
- Sharing Christ - sharing our faith with others out of our own experience is the authentic, natural mark of a committed follower of Jesus. We share Christ by serving others, meeting people right where they are in life, caring for them, acting in mercy, and seeking justice.
Our Measurements – “When are we effective?”
Missional measures are the picture of what a life-changing relationship with God looks like and is expressed by reflecting on the follow questions:
- How am I SEEKING God with all my heart?
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29.13
- How am I SERVING unselfishly?
You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. Galatians 5.13
- How am I SHARING Christ with others?
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3.15
- How am I being SHEPHERDED and SHEPHERDING another in their faith?
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the day approaching. Hebrews 10.24-25
Need more info?
Email us at
call the Church Office at (770) 479-2502.
For more information about the United Methodist Church beliefs, please visit
The United Methodist Church website.